Thoughts on Max Biaggi

Discussion of World Superbikes, BSB, and any other bikesport championships here

Thoughts on Max Biaggi

Postby Honda Rider » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:44 pm

As Max announces his retirement on a truly remarkable career how will you remember him?
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Re: Thoughts on Max Biaggi

Postby lemmy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Honda Rider wrote:As Max announces his retirement on a truly remarkable career how will you remember him?

I pulled for him back in the 250 days and when he came up and was battling Rossi. But later on I just had to admit that he was somewhat of a jerk...but a very smooth and fantastic rider.
lemmy

Postby aussie1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:36 am

I wanted him to win everything in 250's & then when he came up into 500's he came across as a bit of a hot-head (especially seen in his race that he was black-flagged & refused to come in, near the end of his first season). It's funny the way things work out sometimes, as I then wanted Valentino to beat the pants off him every race when he moved into 500's but now I want "Everyone" to beat the pants off Rossi :? I am such a confused soul :shock: The other thing going against him from a personal point of view was that he was Doohan's main threat, so I was destined to dislike him at least a little ;)

To answer your question though HR, he deserves the respect he has recieved for his undeniable skill & the championships he has won. All very well earned :)
aussie1

Postby Honda Rider » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:50 am

I agree with both you guys, and as for the Rossi thing, Max seemed to be the arch enemy to the "good boy" Rossi. Tremendous career though, it would have been GREAT if Rossi had moved to WSB as was rumored at one time to race against Max then. You would have to say that Rossi had the better of him in MotoGP though, proven to me when they swapped bikes, Honda to Yamaha and vice versa and Rossi was better on both bikes.
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:47 pm

There's no doubting either of those guys in the skills department. They have both played their own big part in the world of motorcycle racing.
aussie1

Postby Honda Rider » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:51 pm

...and both mastered the 2 strokes as well. 8-)
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:53 am

Aaaaaaaahhh, the two strokes. Sometimes I miss them & othertimes I'm glad we have the meaty sound of the four-strokes. Please forgive me HR, I know this isn't max Biaggi related, but just listen to this youtube clip of an "aged Kenny Roberts taking his two-stroker out for a bit of a burn around the track. Ooooh that sound 8-) 8-) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4S7wmxpQIU&feature=related
aussie1

Postby Honda Rider » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Great clip aus, I love that bike and Kenny's a very cool guy. He looks a little rusty, what with all the missed gears and all, but you can see he's pushing on a bit by the fork movement after he lets the tires warm up, I wonder if the guys he passed thought they were going fast 'till then! Did you notice the Kawasaki near the end at the end of those horrible scrape marks in the tarmac, oh dear. What we really need is the smell as well though. 8-)
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:46 am

The thing that amazes me is theat the guy's around sixty years of age at the time of filming :shock:

Honda Rider wrote: What we really need is the smell as well though. 8-)

Yeah, that was pretty special wasn't it. What I don't miss is the constant upkeep of those things. In that regard, give me a 4 stroker anyday. But the thrill of trying to hold onto the bike when the 2stroke hits power-band was something I'll never forget 8-)
aussie1

Postby Honda Rider » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:53 am

aussie1 wrote:What I don't miss is the constant upkeep of those things.

and the tinnitus! :lol:
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:21 am

Lol. I can't remember, but did the riders use ear plugs at all during the 2 stroke era. I can't remember seeing anyone using them in the 500's, whereas nowadays we see all the riders these days sucking on them & shoving them into their ear-holes. I know that the foam ones were around in the nineties while the 2 strokes were still going though.
aussie1

Postby Honda Rider » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Pardon?
lol
I'm not sure if they were using them at that point, it was a totally different mindset then wasn't it? I mean Sheene was smoking in the pits at this point! And of course the stories of the hole drilled in the front of his lid so he could smoke on the grid are legendary! The older racers didn't of course. I always put mine in dry, couldn't fancy pushing spit into my ears.
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Honda Rider wrote:................... I always put mine in dry, couldn't fancy pushing spit into my ears.

Yeah, I can't bring myself to do it either. It would be like being given a "wet willie" :lol:
I'm not sure if that is just an Australian term or if you guys use it over there, but it is when smoeone licks their finger & sticks it into your ear-hole & it is pretty gross :?
aussie1

Postby Honda Rider » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 pm

It's not an activity that I've come across here thankfully, it may be best if you don't elaborate!
Too much Fosters I think. :lol:
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Honda Rider wrote:It's not an activity that I've come across here thankfully, it may be best if you don't elaborate!

:lol: It's probably not the most wholesome topic I could have brought up. It's funny, I just looked back up at the threads topic & am wondering how we got from Max Biaggi to wet willies :shock:
aussie1

Next

Return to World Superbikes & Other Bike Sports