WSBK an option for Casey?

Discussion of World Superbikes, BSB, and any other bikesport championships here

WSBK an option for Casey?

Postby aussie1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:54 am

This is just a discussion topic, so don't anyone bite my head off ;)

I know that Casey has said quite strongly in the past that he would only race in Motogp & not WSBK previously, but I would have thought that WSBK would be an option in that it would still give him a buzz racing roadbikes in an incredibly competitive field. The main reason I bring it up is because I doubt motogp will ever change in the right direction for Casey & if he ever got the 2 wheel-bug again, it has a much better atmosphere than motogp. Nearly everyone who has done WSBK says that the two categories are like chalk & cheese. I know that Troy bayliss & many others have said they love the whole WSBK festival/family feel rather than the pushy & in your face business feel that motogp has. This, I would have thought would suite Casey down to the ground. I honestly doubt it would ever happen, but I'd rather see him in WSBK than never racing on 2 wheels again. And yes, I do know it has the feel of retirement home for retired motogp riders, :roll:

Just a thought .................. not necessarily a conviction on my part.
aussie1

Re: WSBK an option for Casey?

Postby Honda Rider » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 am

aussie1 wrote:
Just a thought .................. not necessarily a conviction on my part.

I liked your little disclaimer at the end! :lol:
I get where you're coming from aus, we all want to see him spinning up at full lean angle again, and I'm sure it'll be quite a spectacle on a WSB, but I doubt that it'll never happen in reality.
At this point it seems like he's going to V8's and that seems to be his interest, maybe even a passion by the way he talks, and despite the denials from him that it's a done deal, you've got to feel its imminent really don't you.
I wouldn't have thought that supers were of interest to him aus, I mean he's a purist with MotoGP bikes not wanting any compromises there with the bike specs, so why would he want to race "sofas"?
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:58 am

Yeah, I agree HR. It's probably something I would have prefered rather than V8s but yeah, he was really interested only in the purest form of bike racing as you say. I'm not completely against him doing the V8 thing, but another form of bike racing would have made "my preferance" - not that what I prefer is of any concern to Casey of course - nor should it be. He's been putting up with fickle fans his whole racing life ;)
aussie1

Postby aussie1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Honda Rider wrote:................... so why would he want to race "sofas"?

Like the imagery HR :lol:
aussie1

Postby Honda Rider » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:13 pm

aussie1 wrote:I'm not completely against him doing the V8 thing, but another form of bike racing would have made "my preferance"

Yeah, good luck to Casey with the cars if that's what transpires, without endlessly repeating the same thing, for me the fact is that he ..... oh no, do I have to use this word already.... was one of the greatest riders of all time, sadly the World Championships won't indicate this for people looking back in the future, and the future for Casey's career looked like we hadn't even seen his best years, obviously that's me opinion, we will now never actually know. Like I said I hope he rocks the V8 world, but honestly the bike career was a huge thing to walk away from. I honestly don't think that WSB will be an interesting option to him, again, my opinion that's all.
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Honda Rider wrote:I honestly don't think that WSB will be an interesting option to him, again, my opinion that's all.

Can't disagree with that at all HR. Just thoughts bouncing around in my head :lol:
aussie1

Postby Stumpy27 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:26 am

Now that Dorna is running WSBK you reckon he would go? Even if he wanted to?
It seems most if not all of the reasons he left Moto Gp was dorna based.
They( DORNA) really should pull their heads from out their bumbs and realize that the yellow one has 1 -2 years left in him, then what? a team owner, so what, he will be no different from Ago, Doonan, etc etc.
If your not spanish or italian they dont seem to want to know. The pohm's only have a couple of fellas in each class, we have 3 regulars now, so it's hard to see it being a "worldwide" sport, other than the destinations.
Rant done.

Stump
Tight Lines and Black strips!!

Stumpy
Stumpy27

Postby Honda Rider » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Stumpy27 wrote:it's hard to see it being a "worldwide" sport, other than the destinations.

Maybe the difference is that MotoGP is HUGE in Italy and Spain, a major spectator sport, certainly here if you asked Joe Bloggs on the street who Call Crutchlow was I doubt many would know, they'd know in Spain though even though he's not Spanish. When it's so high profile there this breeds interest and young talent to compete as well. My guess that that's part of the difference at least.
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:45 pm

You're right HR. Where the money & fans are, that's where it's going to be targeted.

Yeah we all hear you stump. I think it's such a crying shame for the whole world really to be missing out on other classy & talented guys from many other countries who will basically never see the light of day :(
aussie1

Postby Stumpy27 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:20 am

Yeah I guess thats true, but it is still such a shame that the lessor countries get snubbed.
I guess thats life in general.
Tight Lines and Black strips!!

Stumpy
Stumpy27

Postby aussie1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Stumpy27 wrote:Yeah I guess thats true, but it is still such a shame that the lessor countries get snubbed..............

In a perfect world, all the best riders would be out there. We can definately say that, as the best rider is not going to be out there this season. At least not on the motogp circuit ;)
aussie1

Postby Honda Rider » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Stumpy27 wrote:Yeah I guess thats true, but it is still such a shame that the lessor countries get snubbed.
I guess thats life in general.

I wasn't meaning that they were snubbed, I meant as a percentage thing..... If a country has a million people fanatical about a sport compared with another country with 100,000 fanatics, the .1 percent or whatever that actually get involved and start to race would be significantly different, that combined with sponsorship being more or less available for the same reason is part of the difference I think.
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:29 pm

Yeah, unfortunately it's pretty much a numbers game isn't it. And unfortunately, money is the most sort after number around. Always has been & always will be I guess. People will always come second to the almighty dollar. And the percentages too HR as you say.
aussie1

Postby Honda Rider » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Yeah, but the financial depression affects all though, for example I think Spain is having a tough time, and yet there are plenty of teams and riders from there. Sure some countries are wealthier than others and this will affect things, but with or without the depression the percentage thing is a big part of it I think. Lots of money and little interest will still produce few riders.
Honda Rider
Honda Rider

Postby aussie1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 am

Very true :)
aussie1

Next

Return to World Superbikes & Other Bike Sports